Call for Proposals is Now Open
The call for presentation proposals is now open for the 5th Annual Alabama Higher Education Suicide Prevention Conference! This year’s conference will be in-personal with live streaming on September 8th. The conference theme is Suicide Prevention: Every Connection Counts.
Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students. Increasing awareness and access to mental health and suicide prevention services both on and off campus are essential to student wellness and suicide reduction. Suicide prevention on college campuses has frequently focused on awareness activities, trainings, screenings and speaker programs. We are particularly interested in research and practice-based presentations that focus on any of the following topics as they relate to awareness of mental health services and suicide prevention on college campuses:
- Reaching out to populations at increased risk for suicidal behaviors (i.e., LGBTQ, student athletes, student veterans, commuter students, non-traditional students),
- Implementing protective factors and reduction of lethal means in higher education,
- Increasing awareness of help-seeking behaviors by development and implementation of techniques to reduce stigma associated with mental health concerns
- Connecting with community resources that provide services to students,
- Implementing faculty/staff and student gatekeeper training (i.e., QPR, Campus Connect, Mental Health First Aid),
- Identifying effective treatments aimed at addressing the intersection of suicide and mental illness with substance use and harassment,
- Identifying frameworks for developing institutional protocol for acutely distressed students,
- Implementing suicide risk assessment and/or screening,
- Examining a more comprehensive approach and fostering a culture of wellness that originates from the highest administrative level,
- Developing postvention strategies,
- Identifying specific clinical approaches to suicide prevention,
- Securing program funding
This list is not exhaustive and presentations on other topics are welcome. Potential presenters are allowed to be included on a maximum of 2 presentation proposals. Once the presentation proposal is submitted, potential presenters will not be able to make changes. Presentation proposal acceptance notifications will be sent out on June 15, 2023. The first author on all accepted presentation proposals should respond with confirmation by July 1, 2023. No additional authorship changes will be allowed after this date.
Presentation proposals are due by June 1, 2023. If you’re interested in submitting a presentation proposal, please select the following link or QR Code:
For more information on the Call for Presentations Proposals or other conference related topics please contact Dr. Kanessa Doss at email@example.com or visit: http://mhrsp.org/.
**NBCC continuing education hours will be available